Tuesday 19 April 2011

Learn the Secret of Gutsy Guilt


Permalink

Part of our Christian confidence is that even when we fall into sin and experience God's Fatherly discipline, we will rise again. John Piper calls this "gutsy guilt":
To the fallen saint, who knows the darkness is self-inflicted and feels the futility of looking for hope from a frowning Judge, the Bible gives a shocking example of gutsy guilt. It pictures God’s failed prophet beneath a righteous frown, bearing his chastisement with broken-hearted boldness—
"Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light to me. I will bear the indignation of the Lord because I have sinned against him, until he pleads my cause and executes judgment for me. He will bring me out to the light." (Micah 7:8-9)
This is courageous contrition. Gutsy guilt. The saint has fallen. The darkness of God’s indignation is on him. He does not blow it off, but waits. And he throws in the face of his accuser the confidence that his indignant Judge will plead his cause and execute justice for (not against) him. This is the application of justification to the fallen saint. Broken-hearted, gutsy guilt.
For further thought, see John Piper's 2002 article "Justification by Faith."

3 comments:

  1. Mmm...I guess the challenge a Christain faces is not taking God's love for granted.
    Like a Father-son relationship, one has confidence in His love BUT our duty is to serve and obey his laws

    PS - Liking the new background. Quite calming

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed. It's so easy to take it for granted, but God help us to remain faithful and not sin against Him.

    Thank you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm...Gusty Guilt....Lord I need Grace

    ReplyDelete